Stat Counter

Friday, December 21, 2012

Florence in the Wintertime




It’s most definitely my favorite time of year, and Florence doesn’t disappoint in giving the perfect atmosphere of Christmas. The weather has gotten significantly colder, which means boots, scarves and coats! There is nothing better than getting all bundled up and going out for a hot chocolate on a cold winter day. They have put out lights on all the big streets in the city, each on having it’s own set of characteristics. Different colors, different designs, even hanging lanterns made from Christmas tree branches…it’s definitely a treat to walk around and take it all in. They put up a giant tree in front of the Duomo, with the ornaments of course being the symbol of Florence, or the “fleur di lis.” They have had a giant Christmas market in the big piazza near my apartment, where sellers from all over Europe come and open up stands with homemade gifts for all occasions, as well as food, sweets, and drinks from the different countries. I’ve passed through there numerous times just for the atmosphere; it truly never gets old. Although I’m leaving to California tomorrow to spend Christmas at home, I’ve sincerely enjoyed what Florence has given me to soak in my favorite time of the year. I hope when I return in just about two weeks that the lights will still be up and there will still be ice skating so that I can continue to enjoy this beautiful European winter!











1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed your journey Kiawna. I sat here and read every post and watched every video. Looks like you are having an amazing time. One thing I noticed no pictures of your apartment which I would love to see where your living :)

    Hope you had a great Christmas and looking forward to reading and seeing more.

    ReplyDelete