Stat Counter

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Thoughts on being an American student at an Italian University


Got my student card and am officially a student at 
L'Università Degli Studi di Firenze!


As many of you know, before coming to Italy I had planned on enrolling in the University of Florence second semester, after I settled in and felt comfortable with the culture and my efficiency in the language. Well, as time went on at our Californian school, I realized that I wasn’t getting everything that I wanted out of the experience and decided to go ahead and try to enroll at the Italian University for the second part of the first semester. After going through paperwork and an oral exam, I finally got registered as a student and enrolled in an Italian Literature class. I started going in November, with no previous knowledge that it was only a five week course. By now, the lessons have finished, however I don’t have my actual exam until the end of January. The course was on all the works of the famous Italian poet Giacomo Leopardi. Let’s just say, this was most certainly one of the most intimidating experiences of my life! 

The first days of class were horrific…it’s like you walk in the middle of a foreign film and you are stuck in the middle of something really important, but you can’t just quite grasp what the heck is going on. I learned very quickly that there is a huge difference between being fluent to the point of being comfortable speaking with the locals and being fluent to the point of being comfortable in an academic environment. Naturally, the professors use much larger and more sophisticated words in order to build a well-educated environment. They also don’t really cater to your foreign vulnerability in a classroom setting and speak just as normally and rapidly as they would to any other native speaker. Needless to say, the first few days were a nightmare. I had so many doubts and whether I would be capable of succeeding with a good grade in the course, but I just knew that I had to stick with it. After those first days, I found myself beginning to follow the professor better; who knows if it was due to the fact that I started drinking coffee, or if I was just improving…J My professor from the California University had told me that it would take a week or two, but eventually I would get used to their tone of voice and their manner of speaking. And she was most certainly right! By the end of class, it was much easier to follow her lectures and feel like I grasped the general idea of the analyses that we were discussing in class. The hardest thing to do for me was taking notes. When I would begin to write a sentence down, I would be concentrating on every word to make sure it would make sense…but then in the middle of it, I would be concentrating so much that I would forget the rest of the sentence! For that reason, there are definitely a lot of “dot dot dots” and question marks throughout my note book. After she saw that we were getting a little more comfortable in class, she began to turn the attention on us and call for us to read, always addressing us as their “American friends.” After seeing that reading the old Italian poetry was difficult for even the natives, it was most certainly a nerve wrecking experience! 

Thankfully, we made a friend in the class who is extremely kind and who always helps us with understanding any confusion that we have when it comes to the readings and the exams. If it wasn’t for her, everything would be that much more difficult, so I’m definitely grateful J I have enjoyed reading and analyzing the poetry, however. Despite the fact that he’s a very depressing writer, it’s so interesting to see the ideas and the history of another culture in such a work of art. My issue now is just trying to figure out a way to study it….trying to understand everything about the language itself is hard enough, let alone having to analyze the meaning behind such deep poetry after seeing that the Italian students themselves are having difficulties understanding it as well! I know it just means I have to push myself that much harder once the exam nears. It’s going to be my very first oral exam, more importantly my very first exam given to me by an Italian University in a completely different language. I’m hoping that it will all go well, because next semester I plan on taking most of my classes at the University of Florence…so we shall see. This will definitely be such an adventure, but I know in the end it will be all worth it! My Italian has been thanking me for it lately, and I’m hoping to see a great change and improvement by the end of the year. After all, nothing great in life comes without great challenges. 



No comments:

Post a Comment